Sunday, October 16, 2005

Unbecoming

My current biggest fear: I'm becoming something I never wanted to be. The more I formulate and settle into my opinions, the more closed-minded I become. I never wanted to be someone who was so stuck in her ways, or her way of seeing things that she was not open to other ways of looking at things. Obviously, this would close me off from seeing my potential mistakes, or finding new or fuller truths.

I also did something today I hate. Kristin was in the middle of explaining her feelings about an issue she is really struggling with. I did the worst thing I could have done in that situation; I interrupted, and I said the words "no you don't." Negating someone's feelings! Being argumentative when someone is expressing something important to them. And I did it. How awful! I did nothing that was truly supportive, truly trying to understand. I did not connect with Kristin. I am so sorry. Instead, I just expressed my opinion, and that was that.

When I asked to begin this group, this is exactly the opposite of what I wanted, and here I am being the hypocrite.

We ended up talking about it later. HOW do we connect. How do we ensure we're really supporting each other.

How do you stop yourself when you see yourself becoming exactly what you DON'T want to be?

1 Comments:

Blogger luminainfinite said...

wow, I don't really have an answer, just enjoying your honesty Amberlynn.

10/21/2005 8:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home