Monday, January 02, 2006

HOW to Love a Leaver II

Ryan's comparison of fighting for the life of a suicidal friend to my question about how to show love to a close one who has left the [LDS] church has been the focus of many of my thoughts lately. I think this analogy is a great one, and may help reach the answer to my question, and problem.

The question is still: HOW to love a leaver? How do you best demonstrate your love for them, while experiencing the loss... in my parents case, believing in the loss of having one of their children with them and the rest of the family in the hereafter.

HOW do you “fight” (in Ryan's words) for the life of a suicidal friend?

I've only known one person of my acquaintance who has committed suicide, and I was not close to them, so I cannot say how I would deal with the loss.

I have, however, had a very close friend attempt suicide, and many others I've known discuss their thoughts about the possibility of committing suicide. At one point in my life, I thought a lot about the possibility as well.

I'm happy to report that nine years after the attempt, my good friend is still alive. I cannot claim to have any sure contribution to my friend surviving the trying time of his life. In fact, I believe that any desire he kept to remain with us in this life came from within himself.

But HOW show love? My friends' suicide attempt affected my severely. I had ignored an intuition to call my friend the night of his attempt, so I felt partial responsibility in this low point in his life. I was heartbroken – for both our sakes. I cried, I prayed, and I did everything I could to show my love for my friend. (I eventually came to a place where I was able to cope after composing a beautiful song in his honor.)

But still, I haven't addressed this issue: the fight itself. When I've learned of loved ones thoughts of suicide, my initial reaction has always been 'why?' followed by the desire to listen, and be a support for them. When I went through thoughts of suicide myself, what I hoped for more than anything was a listening ear. Someone who would listen to my cry for help, and just be willing to listen, and possibly even empathize.

Part of my internal struggle was that I knew thoughts suicide was selfish, and would accomplish nothing of positive consequence. It would get me the attention I desired, but not in time to be of any use. I hated myself for thinking selfishly, and this self hatred only deepened the desire to end it all. Luckily, I was able to find the personal strength to find a hope for value in my life, and avoid the attempting the thoughts that were constantly swimming through my mind.

Had I found someone to talk to about my struggle, it would NOT have helped to be told that I was being selfish, that my ending my life would do no good, or anything like this. What I needed was a listener, a hug, and someone to try to understand me.

Unfortunately, I can liken much of the reaction I've gotten from church members to this latter example. Being compared to archetypal wicked Book of Mormon characters, or being lectured that the direction I'm going is wrong do not help the cause. Certainly, they stem from a source of love. But the “fight” only deepens the feelings of rejection and pain.

What I seek is understanding, eventually. In the mean time, a willingness to listen, and to know that this is a time of deep personal pain. With each sharp arrow thrown from a bow of love, my pains and struggles deepen... and the struggle to reconcile my current understanding of my path and the courage I knew it would take to follow this path is becoming worse. If the “fight” is for my spiritual life – and what it should be in the eyes of those within the church – the approach of constantly trying to “remind me” or “drive home” the messages of the church only make the struggle to not become embittered about the church more difficult.

If I am ever to return to a belief in the church, it will be because I feel it is a source of unconditional love. Unconditional is key. Do not love who you want me to be. Do not love what you feel I should be. Recognize and appreciate value that is CURRENTLY in me – believing member of the church or not.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest Yellow,

I was wondering what happened to you!

My heart was breaking when I read what you've been experiencing with your parents. I'm sorry that they are having such a difficult adjustment (although I wondered if this would come up for you knowing that your dad is a mission president). I'm also sorry that your ties to the LDS faith and your family are woven together so tightly, thus making it harder to distinguish between spiritual truths and emotions.

I have a suggestion for a gift for your parents and yourself. Get James Cox's book "How to Qualify for the Celestial Kingdom Today" and his companion seminar tapes "Becoming Spiritually Centered" (you can find them at DeseretBook.com). Brother Cox is wonderful at presenting the gospel in a way that is useful because it focuses directly on the gospel of Christ and how we can apply it in our lives. I know this seminar directly influenced my parents and their dealings with their children. After the seminar my mom told me that she realized, for the first time, that what I chose didn't mean I was a bad daughter or she was a bad mother. She told me, no matter what, she loved me and that was the most important thing (this was during a time when I was a bit of an Alma the younger in my early college years). When she told me that- a burden was lifted from my shoulders and I was able to come back to church again after years of inactivity (later serving a mission). Amazing what unconditional love can do.

What I suspect the problem here is with your parents is that they feel (irrational or no) that they "own" you (meaning what you do is a direct reflection of their strengths or weaknesses) instead of coming to grips with the reality that they have a stewardship over you instead. When your mother looks at the entry of your "part-member" marriage next to all the "perfect" looking temple marriages she experiences a sense of failure that has nothing to do with you but everything to do with the way she feels about herself, "the church", and the gospel.

What that means: you make your own choices independent of your upbringing because of that wonderful, wacky gift of free-agency. Your parents are probably feeling like they failed in some way rather than realizing that you made the choice you felt to be correct. Some of their angst reflects an (imo) improper understanding of the plan of salvation and the true nature of Christ.

You are not "lost" to them because you have been born in the covenant and are already sealed. You are only lost to them if they fail to overcome their hurt and recognize your divine right to choose for yourself the life you want (in effect pushing you further away from the church). You are lost to them if they withdraw their love, support, and prayers. And that IS truly heartbreaking. But I suspect that isn't really the case here.

I think your parents love you very much but they are hurt and bewildered and are castigating themselves. Unfortunately they are also burning bridges with a beloved daughter. Sigh. Keep your chin up and know that they do love you and God loves you. Unconditional love can never be found within the environs of "the church" but it can be found on your knees in the still quietness of your home.

If you need to talk or vent at all (since I went ahead and married a "non-member" too) let me know and I'll share my email with you. Or you could pop on over to a great discussion group of "mixed" LDS marriages at Faces East (go to vivanedflanders.blogspot.com and click on the Faces East link).

Also, give your parents some time. They are probably in shock right now and in the middle of a very difficult calling in the church where they are constantly put up as a standard for many members and missionaries. I'm sure things will work themselves out when they get back.

I love you sister Yellow. Chin up!

K.D. Clement

1/06/2006 3:24 AM  
Blogger Jason and Emily said...

Honey, show me any place on Earth that is a source of unconditional love at all times.

1/06/2006 9:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home